This very popular post was screaming for some more attention, so here you go!
Recently we shared a recipe to make your own Homemade Laundry Detergent, today we’re sharing a recipe for Dishwasher Detergent. Have you ever tried to make this? We’d love to hear your experiences and/or variations to the recipe too!
Dishwasher Detergent ingredients: (Walmart Pricing)
- 1 box Borax -(4lbs 12 oz or 76 oz ) $2.98 – found in the detergent isle
- 1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda – (55 oz or 3 lbs 7 oz) $3.24 – found in the detergent isle
- 24 packages of unsweetened lemonade drink mix, or 1/2 cup citric acid – $ 6.00 (*Note: lemonade will stain soap dispenser yellow, another option would be to use citric acid instead of lemonade. You can usually find citric acid in the canning isle.)
- 3 cups Epsom Salt or Kosher Salt – $3.28
Rinse Aid if you use it…
- White Vinegar (super cheap!) or Lemi Shine – $3.66 (found on the dishwasher detergent aisle).
Here are a few more tips…
This detergent will clump because of the citric acid. Here are a few ways to make it clump less:
- Add a tsp of rice to the detergent to help absorb moisture.
- After combining ingredients, leave mixture out and stir several times each day for a day or two. (This is how we do it.)
- Add citric acid separately to each dishwasher load rather than adding it to the detergent.
If your dishwasher will accept blocks of detergent you can form blocks by using ice cube trays. Simply place desired amount of detergent into trays immediately after combining ingredients. Use 1 block for each load.