UPDATE: MAJOR Safeway changes are coming, you can basically watch this video for entertainment sake – but the info is sadly outdated since the Just For U program has officially launched in Hawaii, Illinois, and Northern CA. You can read my most recent post about the Just For U program and what you need to know.
First things first, print out and keep the Safeway Store Coupon Policy with you at all times, this will help if you run into a confusing situation when you’re in the store or if a cashier isn’t aware of how their promotions work. You’ll be armed and ready!
Go HERE to find a Safeway near you.
Safeway has many partner stores and most if not all of the tips I share here are applicable there as well.
- Pak ‘N Save
- Tom Thumb
Make sure you load your NEW cellfire.com, PGeSaver, Upromise, and shortcuts.com eCoupons before you shop, give it at least 24 hours to activate and fully load to your card. Safeway is a favorite of mine since you can use BOTH a paper coupon and an eCoupon on the same item. This allows us often to double up and even sometimes get an item FREE!
A few things to note about shopping at Safeway…
- Keep your eyes peeled for in-store coupon booklets, there are often 1-2 available and almost always include at least some manufacturer’s coupons that can be used at any store.
- You CAN stack a manufacturer’s coupon with a Safeway store coupon (found in a coupon booklet or in their ad).
- Safeway’s 10 for $10 sales do NOT require you to buy 10 – you can buy 1 at the price of $1 each.
- Safeway’s Buy 4 Save $4 sales DO require you to buy 4 in order to save $4.
- Often both of the above sales are Mix & Match sales which means that you can purchase any item that is participating in that sale and is typically marked with the same sales tag.
- Safeway works with the Catalina Marketing Company and often uses them for both in-store promotions and manufacturer’s Catalina promotions. Simply put…don’t throw out your Catalina Coupons as they may be very valuable!
If you have an issue with a Catalina Coupon not printing, here is what you need to do…
You can either contact Catalina Marketing Online or give them a call. When you get in contact with someone, make sure you have your receipt handy and products purchased handy, they’ll be asking you several questions to verify that you purchased the right product and that the Catalina promotion is still running at that time and location.
Catalina Marketing 1-888-322-3814 or 1-888-8COUPONS (1-888-826-8766)
Open from 7AM – 8PM EST
Monday – Friday
Here are few notes to make from their NEW Coupon Policy:
Manufacturer and Store Coupons:
4. Coupons cannot be applied against the free item received in any offer where a customer buys one or more items to get one or more items free. This means in a BOGO situation, you can not use 2 coupons and most likley means you can also not use a BOGO coupon.
5. Coupon amount may be reduced so that anycombined discounts and coupons do not exceed the value of the item. See number 12 below. This means no overage, but hey at least they’ll take the coupon and adjust it down!
8. Safeway will accept valid manufacturer coupons that display another retailer’s logo or name. WOO HOO, huge bonus. You know all those “Target” coupon with the manufacturer logo on them, yep you can now use those at Safeway too!
12. The transaction amount may not fall below zero value, or go negative, meaning we will not give the customer money back. Pretty simple, no overage.
Internet Printed Coupons:
16. We gladly accept internet printed coupons. The same manufacturer and store coupon rules above apply to all internet printed coupons.
17. Internet printed coupons must scan at checkout.
18. Internet printed coupons must have serial numbers and follow an industry-standard format.
19. Manufacturer internet printed coupons must clearly indicate that they are a manufacturer coupon and have a valid manufacturer address on the printed coupon.
20. We will not accept “free product” internet printed manufacturer coupons. Most stores don’t accept FREE product coupons that have been printed at home since most are fraudulent.
Load to Card Club Coupons:
21. Internet and digital coupons that have been electronically loaded to a Safeway Club Card are automatically redeemed at the time of purchase after the club card number has been entered. All other coupon policies above apply to electronic coupons that are loaded to a club card. This one is clear as mud – can we or can’t we use an eCoupon as well as a paper manufacturer coupon? In the read more link below is states that you cannot “stack” and eCoupon and paper coupon but it states “Hawaii Only”. So looks like it’s a go here for the rest of us, sorry Hawaii!
© 2010 The Frugal Find. All rights reserved. No content on this page may be reused in any fashion without written permission.